June 07, 2021
I created this chicken shawarma recipe after I spent time abroad in Israel for about four months. This recipe includes spices from all over the Mediterranean, the aromatic flavors from the cilantro and parsley make this dish extremely flavorful. It is the perfect main dish if you’re cooking an Israeli themed meal. The chicken can be marinated from a day in advance.
- 6 oz skinless, boneless chicken sliced into strips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves of garlic, pasted or minced
- 1 bunch of cilantro, stems removed
- 1 bunch flat-parsley, stems removed
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Optional: Tahini sauce & Pickled onion, for serving
- Clean the chicken by rinsing it thoroughly, being careful not to cross contaminate.
- Combine 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, 1/2 cup cilantro, ½ cup parsley and spices into a large Ziploc bag.
- Place the chicken inside the Ziploc it and place it into the refridgerator. Let it marinate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the fish is marinated, heat a grill pan or cast-iron skillet to a medium-low flame with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté the red onion until translucent.
- Then, add the marinated chicken to the grill pan or skillet and sauté until golden-brown, about 7-10 minutes each side.
- Serve over tahini and garnish with pickled onions and remaining amount of parsley and cilantro.