String Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 lb trimmed green beans (I prefer haricot vests/French)
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayennne pepper
- 1 bottle crushed tomatoes (I like the Tuscanini brand)
- 4 tablespoons tomatoe paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon basil, shredded or chiffonaded
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot with extra virgin olive oil on a low flame. Then, placed the sliced garlic inside and let it brown a bit. Place the diced onion inside, and let it sweat, covered, about 10 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir continuously, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, cayenne pepper, paprika, cracked black pepper, salt, and oregano. Stir to combine and let it reduce a bit more, about 3 minutes.
- Place the string beans on top and cover. Let it cook down for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with chiffonaded basil, season with salt, and serve.